It’s far too easy to get bogged down with negative thoughts and fall into a spiral of self doubt. We are nearly always our own worst critics, but it doesn’t have to stay that way!
You can take back control of your thought life and build yourself up, rather than tearing yourself down. It all comes down to knowing and embracing your own worth. Today we look at advice from Joyce Meyer about improving our sense of self-worth.
Do You Know Your Own Worth?
God wants us to have great relationships, but self-rejection and even self-hatred are the roots of many relationship problems. In fact, I’ve found the Bible to be a book about relationships, providing valuable advice about my relationship with God, other people and even myself.
Many of us fall prey to self-rejection because we feel that nobody really loves us or accepts us. We figure that if nobody else loves us, then why should we love ourselves? Because we think others don’t love us, we feel that we must not be worth loving. But that’s a LIE we’ve believed for way too long!
We must have the kind of love for ourselves that says, “I know God loves me, so I can love what God chooses to love. I don’t love everything I do, but I accept myself because God accepts me.” We must develop the kind of mature love that says, “I know I need to change, and I want to change. In fact, I believe God is changing me daily, but during this process, I will not reject what God accepts. I’ll accept myself as I am right now, knowing that I will not always remain this way.”
As you begin to see yourself through God’s eyes—someone who’s loved and cherished—your view of yourself will begin to change. You’ll begin to see yourself not as rejected, but as loved and accepted…unique and beautiful in His sight.
– via www.joycemeyer.org
If you’re ready to start changing your life for the better and becoming your own BEST cheerleader rather than your own worst critic, these ideas can help you get a jumpstart on this new path.
Big change doesn’t have to happen overnight, all that matters is that you start actively, purposefully infusing positive, uplifting thoughts and actions into your day.
Investing in yourself will yield enormous dividends in the end!
Increasing Your Sense Of Self Worth
- Write down 7 minor goals for the week and tick one off each day as you achieve it.
- Read a book a month. Reading a book is actually an achievement in this technology and media driven world and reading a full book is a great way to achieve a sense of accomplishment.
- At the end of each day before falling asleep write down something you feel proud about, either on the day or in the past.
- Do something for yourself every day.
- Learn a new skill or take up something you’ve always wanted to and stick with it.
- Forgive yourself! (You know what I mean)
- Get rid of the people who are dragging you down (I don’t mean kill them, I mean just stop having them in your life.)
- Work on your strengths. A lot of people focus on building up their weaknesses, instead get better at what you are good at.
- Help other people who need it.
- Always, Always, Always be honest with yourself and others. There is no need for lies and the energy it takes to continue a lie is unbelievable.
- Take a chance and take a risk or two. You don’t have long to live so just get up and do it.
– via Change your thoughts
Do you ever catch yourself losing touch with your own self-worth? Will you try today to put one of these ideas into action?